The outer shell of the ring is very close to formed now. I have a slight dome all around the shank, and it moves smoothly into a rounded-corner square opening for the enamel. The finger hole is very round now, and is staying that way through the forming; it's also very close to the correct size (9.5 US, since it's going over an inner sleeve that's size 7 on the inside and 1mm thick).
While I was at the dentist today I was thinking about how to draft the pattern for such a ring so there would be less forming needed; I will have to experiment with that.
I think the next time I make such a ring, I'm going to photograph the process. It's pretty cool, the way a really weirdly-shaped bit of sheet turns into a ring with complex curves!
I also soldered the handmade marquis bezel setting onto the Sample Ring of Hideousness. Time to start the finishing on it! It's not really my design; I started it in Doug Zaruba's class last summer, and it's a honking great thing mostly designed to hold several settings of CZs. This one has a gigantic heavy square setting, then a rectangular one for a baguette on one side and the marquis on the other. I may flush-set some 1mm CZs in various places as well. It's not designed for wear; at least, I cannot imagine anyone squeeing and saying "Yes! That is the perfect look I've been wanting!" It's really ugly. But it makes a good practice piece, and a good thing to hold onto to remind one of various techniques.
As usual, there were several more things I did bits on, but these were the high points.