?

Log in

No account? Create an account
My other accomplishments for the day: solid work on 2 ongoing… - Metals Geekery

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> AFMetalsmith: My Artisan Work in Metals

Links
My artisan metalsmithing site
My original Celtic designs in various media, including jewelry
My Etsy store- Affordable individually-made items.

August 5th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
07:01 pm
My other accomplishments for the day: solid work on 2 ongoing commissions.

The first is a large (physically) piece, and all the soldering is DONE, the pre-polishing is DONE, and I have a bit of forming work and the final polishing left... and that's all. However, I am thinking about how it's too big to fit any of my nice boxes, and so might whip up a bag or something for it.

The second is some adaptive work on the wax for one of my Electric Celt designs, that the client wants in white gold. And that's so cool! Gold's a lot heavier (and stronger, in alloyed form) than silver, so I thinned down the pendant so it wouldn't be as heavy. I experimented with making a new wax bail for it, but the 2 waxes seem pretty incompatible, plus I wasn't best pleased with any of the designs, so I'm leaving the regular loop on and will make a bail when it comes back from the caster. I ought to be able to send it out Monday, and I can hope that they are not so swamped that it takes a long time!

And in the remaining time, I rounded the bordering wires for the smiley pieces, so the 2 for the cloisonne are ready to be soldered onto the backing sheet, and the plique one is ready for me to start working on the border. I was very relieved to see that over time I had acquired 2 really BIG ring mandrels... and the new one went up a bit more than the older one. The plique is 1.25" diameter, which is something like a size 25.5 ring- really huge! but the newer big ring mandrel went up to 26, so all is well. I crimped some thin wire for the decorative part of the border, and fitted it in; I still need to solder it, but it's ready for that.

I also put a thin coat of Renaissance Wax on the silver and "new gold" layers of a pin/pendant I'm reworking a bit. It has 3 layers, all with 3 lobes: a bottom one that's etched copper with colors and patination for the leaves, then an embossed and formed "new gold" (aka rich low brass) layer with 3 petals; then a similar but more dramatically formed layer that's silver. These are held together with a rivet that goes through all 3 and is soldered onto the back of a setting for a big citrine cab.

The problem is that all the layers rotate. This is not a feature; it's a bug.

So I took it apart, and drilled out the holes in the 3 layers to be bigger so they can accept a tube rivet which can then itself accept the original rivet. If I cannot cinch the tube rivet tight enough to prevent rotating, I will drill a very small additional hole next to it, through all 3 layers, and add a second rivet. That'll slow it down. :) I'm hoping that with the tighter cinching the original rivet will still be long enough to extend through all the layers- that's my main worry.

I'm also replacing the nickel-silver pin with a steel one.

If this one works out, I'll do the same on its sibling, and then I'll feel more comfortable selling it.

(Leave a comment)


> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com