I'm pretty pleased with what I accomplished today! I got a second "engagement ring" prototype done, made progress on another, and started still another (plus wrote down the notions I had for several more). There will be pictures, but maybe not until I can post 3-4 at a time.
Since I was not best pleased with the precision I got via eyeballing and some measuring tools on the one on which I made progress, I pulled out this elaborate and confusing "system" for dealing with such. I was seduced by the potential of it several years ago- but the documentation was scanty, and the number of weird bits rather large, and I had not to date managed to use it for anything much despite my attempts. Apparently my subconscious had been mulling it over, though, because this time I was not as confused, and managed to get it set up with only a few false starts- at least one of which was the result of the directions not actually working for doing what I wanted to do (even though they said they would). I'm pretty pleased with both myself, and the additional precision getting this figured out gave me! Now, it did take a fair amount of time, so may not be particularly cost-effective (ignoring the precision aspect) if one is not doing several pieces with the same settings. However, it might well be easier next time, and I do like the ability to get precision when I want that. (Note to metalsmiths: this is the Allset milling assembly, attached to the block that makes it work with the Benchmate.)
Current Mood: pleased