I do like days I can play with fire. And extra points get added when I also get to hit stuff!
Today I made a lot of progress on my "cheater" mokume game experiments. The really, REALLY cheating one is all soldered and I've started the slow rolling-then-annealing-then-repeat process. So far so good...
I decided to cut my large solder-bonded billet into 2 smaller ones, since I was having such a hard time getting the hard solder to flow. So I now have 2 1.5 inch square billets that are maybe 4mm thick, rather than a 3 by 1.5 inch one. (That's about 38 mm square for the cut pieces.) MUCH easier to work with!
And I brought out the Really Big Gun today in terms of the soldering: the rosebud tip for the big propane/O2 torch. And boy did that work well! I've spent half an hour playing the #8 tip over the larger billet and gotten pretty much nowhere; this tip got the admittedly smaller ones up to hard flow temp in a very reasonable time. In fact, I got a bit carried away on one of them and managed to melt out the silver sheet from a corner! But they seem to be soldered now, so I can get started with the rolling-and-annealing process for them, too. Woohoo!
I have also gone through a truly amazing quantity of hard solder, between all these. Next time I'm ordering 2 oz.!
I got started on the settings for the lapis parts of my Egyptian lotus plique earrings, too, and did another few bits and pieces of various things. I'm quite happy with my progress in the last couple of days!
And listening to medieval and Renaissance Xmas music while I work is very enjoyable!