May 2nd, 2009

anvil, ring

(no subject)

The weather was pretty much perfect today! Sort of a shame to be in the studio- but the temp. was OK for running the kiln at least. Much better than it was last week, when it was so hot!

I finished one commission and am close to being done with another. Also worked on the St. Brigid's Crosses; I should be finishing 2-3 of them tomorrow.

At the suggestion of a friend, I tried making one using half-round wire and... I don't think it's worth it. It's a lot harder to weave; the roundness aids the wires in slipping past each other, and the greater thickness means it's hard to avoid a very open weave indeed. I'll finish this one, but doubt I'll be making another. If anything, I'd like the get my regular ones a bit tighter in the weave, and the half-round seems to me that it's going in the wrong direction there... although it might be worthwhile to use it for a castable version, with the understanding that it'll need a lot of careful measuring and sculpting of all the wires to get the right look.