January 7th, 2007

anvil, ring

(no subject)

I'm pleased with my work today. Not that I finished anything... That's a problem with working maybe half the hours I feel I ought to be; things do tend to drag on.

Also, I have not been successful at resisting the temptation to start new stuff before old stuff is done... However, since I am now out of empty Altoids project boxes, I must needs finish stuff before I start anything new. This is one of the reasons I'm content with my box population; if I had more, the temptations would be even greater!

I didn't get the tack welder out today; probably tomorrow. So I have no new wisdom on its utility with argentium as yet.

I did shape my filigree scent locket and mark it for where the bail, hinge, and catch go. I also finished the filigree/plique soldering on a pair of earrings; one of my experiments with these is to see how well- and if- hard solder holds up to plique firing temps, in areas that are separate from the enamels themselves (I.e. findings).

I'm also playing around with making bottlecaps for small bottles. I plan to do one entirely in silver, and another that basically clads an already-existing cap in silver, both with embellishments. At this point I have no idea whether these will be something I'll sell, but I'm curious about the process.

I also made a bit of progress on my hammered-texture ring. It won't be a particularly practical ring to wear, but I think it'll look pretty cool. :)