November 19th, 2006

anvil, ring

(no subject)

Ah. Today I got past the "more of the same" block.

I did fuse a few more rings for my necklace, and am not almost halfway through the final set of rings. These are definitely tricky! I've been experimenting with different ways to play the torch, and am narrowing in on a really effective strategy, but they're fussy little guys.

And I also started and re-started a couple of vaguely mokume game things. For years now i've had a partially-soldered billet of "cheater" mokume game: by that I mean I'm not fusing the layers, I'm using hard solder. I've been stymied by the fact that I foolishly started with some pretty heavy sheets of metal, in not a tiny size, and the pieces tend to giggle at most torches, thus: "You think you're going to solder me??? Get real! *gigglegigglegiggle*"

But! I can now bring the Big Guns into play! I ended up using a #5 tip on my big propane/O2 torch- for perspective, I usually use the #2 at a really soft setting- and conquered. I got the one part, with 3 layers, all together with no gaps, and similarly with the other, 2-layer section. The 3-layer one has been sort-of together before, but not thoroughly. The final step will be to clean both off well and stick 'em together. Then I can roll it out, cut some pieces, and play with pattern development.

I also got most of the soldering done on an even more cheating approach that I dreamed up, that may or may not produce something interesting and/or vaguely mokumegame-like. I'll wait to post details until I find that out. :)