afmetalsmith (afmetalsmith) wrote,
afmetalsmith
afmetalsmith

Yesterday I got more of the yellow into my plique-a-jour smiley. I am pleased that it looks like it's filling OK. Today I got most of the rest in; when I fired it a couple of spots opened up- including in the smile!- but not too badly and so I am encouraged. I may even get the basic firing done tomorrow, assuming that nothing decides to get possessed by demons or something.

(There's this lovely delicate shade of pink that I swear IS possessed by demons. It is the flakiest, most obnoxious color ever to work with, at least in plique. And it is a lovely color, so that's a shame.)

I have also decided NOT to fill the little zigzags around the outermost edge with yellow. What it needs is a different yellow than the body- like a transparent color- that is nonetheless compatible with the face color, and I don't have one. Plus I rather like the look of the open spaces- it makes it airier.

Today I stretched the bezel for the cloisonne smiley so it's close to fitting. I'm not happy with the seam, though, so I think I may try fusing a different one tomorrow. I also sanded both sides of the 18ga. (1mm) sheet for the back.

I wish I could come up with a clever thing to do on the back of that piece. I do have my initials inset into the enamel on the back of the cloisonne, right in the middle, so something that would reveal them would be a plus. Or maybe I'll just cut out most of the sheet in the center and finish with a wavy line or something else that's a bit fun. That would reduce the weight, too, which is cool- and I like to have some sort of design element on the back of pendants, as a sort of private fun feature for the owner. :)

Although I am also contemplating making this one a brooch instead... I'll probably stick with pendant.

Another thing I did was make some strides toward rolling out a fine silver coin into as thin as possible sheet for J's dad. He'd gotten the coin and hammered it a while, and discovered that contrary to what he'd thought, fine silver does indeed work-harden! So as long as I have the kiln on anyway I can anneal it, roll it in the rolling mill a couple of times, and throw it back into the kiln and repeat. I've probably doubled the surface area so far, and would have gotten more done except it was really grubby and I had to pickle and brass-brush it.

I also did some design work- I got an idea for a different approach to plique earrings, and created a template for trying it. These are pierced, but not plain dangles like the ones I've done before.

And some commission stuff, too... I really ought to post a picture of the physically-big commission I finished a while back! At least on my website...
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 4 comments