?

Log in

No account? Create an account
If you are commissioning a custom piece of jewelry, please remember… - Metals Geekery

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> AFMetalsmith: My Artisan Work in Metals

Links
My artisan metalsmithing site
My original Celtic designs in various media, including jewelry
My Etsy store- Affordable individually-made items.

February 1st, 2010


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
07:59 pm
If you are commissioning a custom piece of jewelry, please remember that the person making it is another person, not a faceless conglomerate.

For example: sometimes (not always) I can "rush" a piece... but since that requires me to work extra hours, it does cost extra over my regular price, since I need to do extra work to fit it in. Similarly, sometimes I can work the materials so they are less expensive than they would ordinarily be... but this generally takes extra time to manage. And at any point, either of these may not be possible; it depends on the current circumstances.

So: trying to low-ball both the price (which I set fairly, based on what your piece would cost to make) AND the deadline is not a win. I know there's a lot of stuff being published that says that one should negotiate EVERYTHING. Sometimes, though- that's not true.

I offer excellent work for fair prices (actually, my prices are currently rather cheap based on various pricing strategies). I know this. I also know how long things take me to make, including my current queue of commissions. Trying to finess one or the other- well, it's a trade-off, and might or might not be possible; trying to finesse BOTH- no. I can't do it. Period.

If you are commissioning something from an artisan, please think about giving them credit for knowing their own work, and offering a fair price. If that price is more than fits your budget- unfortunate; I think we all understand that! Gods know I soften at the sight of some stuff I can't afford! But- I don't expect that makers of such things will discount their work to meet my budget, because I know they can't afford to- and neither can I.
Current Mood: thoughtfulthoughtful

(3 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


From:(Anonymous)
Date:February 2nd, 2010 01:43 am (UTC)
(Link)
Is it true that you are cominig to Tokyo around Valentine's day?
[User Picture]
From:afmetalsmith
Date:February 2nd, 2010 02:09 am (UTC)
(Link)
Um- no. Not even close. My Valentine's Day plans involve not going anywhere (except to my studio to work).

Sorry! :)
[User Picture]
From:kk1raven
Date:February 5th, 2010 11:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
There are a lot of things that I'd like to have that I can't afford. I don't expect anyone to discount them just because I can't afford them. I get potential clients who call me and tell me they can't afford the work they need done. Some of them seem to think that the fact that they're elderly somehow means I should work for them without charging much. If people really can't afford to pay to fix their computer right now, I'll try to come up with a plan that works for them, but I'm not going to work for almost nothing just because they want something they can't afford.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com